Featured War Print
Staff of 'Blue Train', Jerusalem 1946
Staff of "Blue Train" MWA 11, Jerusalem.
In view of the heavy volume of telegraphic traffic arising in Palestine in 1946, Cable and Wireless transferred a mobile wireless unit from Italy to Jerusalem to supplement the cable circuit from Haifa via Cyprus, Alexandria, Malta and Gibraltar to London. This mobile unit was known as "Blue Train", and was capable of handling up to 40, 000 words a day and available to carry all classes of traffic. Equipment was shipped to enable the unit to transmit and receive pictures by wireless. This image shows the inside of the operating coach, with J.P. Walker, K.H. Hughes and K.Haworth at work. March 1946. PHO///1462
© The PK Trust